Discover in this educational video how we produce green hydrogen from locally available biomass. Also learn how we are using the circular economy to create win-win energy for farmers and ranchers.
Identifier, repair and enhance biomass
Let's first define what biomass is, and what type of biomass we are going to use.
What is biomass ?
The biomass, in the field of renewable energies, Those are the agricultural waste, household and industrial which can be used as a source of energy. It is the raw material that we use in the circular economy to produce green energies. For our pilot site, we use that resulting from agricultural biomass and the cultivation of a rotational head : industrial hemp.
Mobilize and sustain plant biomass
Because of overexploitation, the soils become impoverished. If artificial fertilizers make it possible to chain harvests, this is to the detriment of land whose ecosystems are too stressed.
How to regenerate them while maintaining farmers' income ?
By introducing the culture of a crop head. Robust and hardy species are sown between two harvests. Mature, the farmer cuts the plant while the root decomposes in the soil.
The result ?
- An invigorated land, and one better performance for the next plantation.
- Of CO2 captured and stored by the rotational head (about 15 tonnes per hectare).
- From income for the farmer who will sell the harvest of this plant in the bioeconomy circuit.
Efficiently use biomass from animal droppings
Farm animal droppings are also biomass, that we can enhance in the circular bioeconomy.
Rather than being used more or less effectively as spreading equipment, sometimes with collateral ecological damage, the droppings are collected and directed to a energy production unit.
Produce energy from biomass
Our process aims to create local green energies, according to a model that can be duplicated and adapted to different socio-ecological ecosystems.
From biomass to energy : the production unit
The heart of the energy production circuit from biomass, according to the circular bioeconomy, is the production unit. Harmoniously implanted in a pre-existing social and economic ecosystem, she picks up and gives value to local biomass elements.
Our technical process makes it possible to extract the energies trapped in this biomass to produce methane, which will be introduced into the gas circuit, or hydrogen which will be sent to nearby service stations.
The local redistribution of energies produced in short circuits
The circle is complete : local inputs of biomass are processed to produce energy used near the production unit.
For the methane, the gas is reinjected into the national network, which becomes the stock of energies produced in the territories and the countryside, in which the production units are located. This is the same principle as for electricity that goes into the national grid before being consumed.
For’hydrogen, it is intended to be distributed in hydrogen stations in the area of the production unit. This hydrogen is injected from pumps into the tank of the trucks, agricultural machinery then light vehicles which will be equipped with a suitable engine or a fuel cell.
Green hydrogen : waste-free biomass hydrogen
We are talking about different colors of hydrogen. Our ambition is to produce a truly green one, that is to say, energy obtained without pollution, no residues.
The differences between gray hydrogen, blue hydrogen and green hydrogen
There are several kinds of hydrogen :
- l’gray hydrogen, which is a hydrogen obtained from fossil fuels. If the hydrogen produced is in itself clean energy, it is the process of generating this energy that is pollutant.
- l’blue hydrogen, which is hydrogen obtained from the electrolysis of water. This process is interesting, because it is not polluting in itself. Nevertheless, the large amount of electricity consumed to produce hydrogen comes either from polluting fossil fuels, either from’nuclear energy which poses other difficulties.
- l’green hydrogen, which is a hydrogen obtained from biomass. It is, for us, the process the most ecological : natural resources are collected according to the principle of the circular economy. The energies produced are then redistributed in the same circuit.
Produce green hydrogen without residue
The energy production units located generate energy using a clean gasification process. Process rejects are collected to be valued :
- CO2 is stored in a cylinder for use in the refrigeration units of neighboring companies, or in refrigerated trucks.
- Farmers can recover liquid fertilizer cleaned of hydrogen, more environmentally friendly than digestate.